Child Custody in Las Vegas
Child Custody is legal and practical relationship between a parent and his or her child. Custody involves not only the amount of time a parent physical spends with his or her child (referred to as physical custody), but also involves a parent’s role in the decision making process for his or her child (legal custody) such as education decisions, medical decisions and sometimes financial decisions. Your Las Vegas Child Custody Attorney can help you convince the courts to make the right decision about your child’s future. Call us today to talk about your unique situation. (702) 433-2889.
If you are involved in a custody dispute in Las Vegas, the court will only consider the best interests of the child in making a custody determination. The Court may award custody in favor of one parent over another if the parent arguing for primary custody can present proof to the Child Custody Court that custody should be changed in their favor and it is in the best interests of the child. In determining the best interest of the child, the court will consider, among other things:
- The wishes of the child if the child is of sufficient age and capacity to form an intelligent preference as to custody;
- Any nomination by a parent or a guardian for the child;
- Whether there is any conflict between the parents, and what level of conflict that might be;
- The parents’ ability to cooperate to meet their child’s needs;
- Any mental or physical health issues relating to the parents;
- The emotional, developmental, and physical needs of the child;
- The child’s relationship with each parent;
- The need for a child to maintain relationships with siblings;
- Any history of abuse or neglect for the child or one of his or her siblings;
- Whether either parent or any other person seeking custody has engaged in an act of domestic violence against the child, a parent of the child or any other person residing with the child.
The role of your child custody attorney is to help you present the facts to the custody court, to speak the language of the custody court, and to get you the best possible outcome for the relationship between you and your child. This is why it’s so essential to find the right custody attorney. You need somebody who has experience as well as compassion. The Rosenblum Law Offices can help.
One thing to be aware of as you face the child custody courts is that a finding of domestic violence creates a presumption that sole or joint custody of the child by the perpetrator of the domestic violence is not in the best interest of the child.
Most Nevada Child Custody Courts will modify or terminate an existing custody arrangement if it is determined that the current arrangement is not in the best interests of the child.
You need an experienced attorney to help you through the complicated and stressful world of Child Custody. If you or someone you know has a custody related matter, contact us today at (702) 433-2889, Our Las Vegas Child Custody Attorney can assist with your child custody case, call today to schedule a consultation.