Do I Have to Register My Car in Nevada?

One of the most frequent tickets our office handles is “no valid registration” also known as failure to provide proof of registration or failure to register an out of state vehicle in Nevada. If you are asking “do I have to register my car in Nevada” the answer is yes, most of the time.

You must register your vehicle in Nevada if you are a resident as outlined below or if you are a non-resident who meets certain conditions.

do I have to register my car in nevada?If you don’t register your car and you meet these criteria the fines are roughly $1,000. New residents must obtain their driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days.

So who is a “resident” you might ask? A Nevada resident by law includes a person (a) whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada; (b) who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semi trailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles; ( c) who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state; or (d) who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.

You are not a Nevada resident for purposes of registering your vehicle if you are a tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

If you don’t meet the definition of a resident, you may still have to register your vehicle in Nevada. These circumstances include: (a) if your vehicle is operated in Nevada for more than 30 days in a calendar year; (b) if you engage in a trade, profession or occupation or accept gainful employment in Nevada; ( c) if you enroll your children in a public school in Nevada; or (d) if you furnish a vehicle to a Nevada resident for continuous use here.

Even if you are a resident or you meet the criteria for registering your vehicle as a non-resident, you may be exempt from registering your vehicle under the following circumstances: (a) you are on active duty in the military service of the United States; (b) you are an out-of-state student; ( c) you are a registered student at a college or university located outside Nevada and in the state for a period of not more than 6 months to participate in a work-study program for which you earn academic credits from the college or university ; (d) you are a migrant or seasonal farm worker; or ( e) you are a border state employee (commute into Nevada for employment within 35 miles of the border).

Failure to register your vehicle, no proof of registration of vehicle or no valid registration can be a difficult fine to swallow especially when the penalties are so steep. If you have been cited for failing to register your vehicle, call us. We can help.