Can I Pay Less Child Support If My Income Goes Down?

“Set down with a Las Vegas child support attorney and get answers to questions like this.”

We can help you to resolve your child support issues.

The short answer to paying less child support if you income is reduced is yes, maybe. The reality is that under Nevada law, child support is modifiable. The real question is whether there has been a substantial change in your income. When the Court says substantial, it means at least 20%.

Often, our firm hears this question when a parent that owes child support loses their job. If you have lost your job, your hours have been cut or your pay has been cut, you may be entitled to a child support modification. It is important to keep in mind that this modification may only be temporary, as often, the Court will require the parent paying support to provide proof that they are looking for a comparable job.

The message here is that if your economic circumstances change, you need to see an attorney to re-visit the issue of child support. It is important to remember that time is of the essence. If you don’t take action, your old support order will continue and you’ll build up child support arrears.

The worst thing you can do is nothing, or agree with your ex on a verbal agreement. Verbal agreements are not enforceable and often, the Court will not recognize them. Simply, child support continues to accrue until and unless you have a court order modifying the support. If you reach an agreement with your ex, it is important to have the agreement in writing, with both of your signatures, and signed off on by a judge.

If you’re facing loss of employment, reduced income, or general financial hardships, you need to take action today. Call us at (702) 433-2889 and speak with an experienced Las Vegas child support attorney.