Top 3 Tips When Facing DUI Charges

Most people get pulled over for traffic infractions but being pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving is a very different scenario. Remember that if you are stopped on suspicion of DUI, the officer will watch everything you do very carefully and the officer will keep track of everything you say.

If the officer believes you are intoxicated, he may ask you questions about where you have been, how much you have had to drink, where you are going on to submit to a field sobriety test or a breathalyzer test. The results of these tests, and/or refusing to take the tests which is perfectly legal, means you might be arrested under suspicion of DUI.

Because DUI is such a serious issue, we have prepared our top 3 tips for what to do when facing DUI charges.

1. Contact a DUI Defense Attorney. First and foremost, it is important to contact a DUI defense attorney as quickly as possible. A DUI arrest often leads to criminal charges, so it is important to secure quality legal representation from an DUI Defense Attorney. Contacting an attorney early on in the process means you will be able to get more than just representation in court. It really means that you will also have access to sound legal counsel to guide you along the way and an advocate that can protect your rights in the courtroom if your DUI charges go to trial.

2. Take Notes and Document Everything that Happened When You Were Arrested. It is important as soon as you are charged with DUI to document everything that happened the night you were arrested. This will help your attorney prepare for any DUI charges the State may bring against you as well as prepare a proper defense regarding the search, the arrest and the charges. As soon as possible, write down things like where you were, who you were with, what time you were stopped, what the officer said to you, what you said to the officer, how much you had to drink, how much time passed between your last drink and the time you were arrested, were your Miranda Rights read to you, whether you agreed to a field sobriety test, what was said to you about a field sobriety test, etc. As much detail as you can provide will give your DUI Attorney a complete understanding of the arrest and allow your lawyer to properly fight your DUI charges.

3. Be Careful About What You Say. If you are suspected of DUI, the officer will try to engage you in conversation to get you to say and do things that will make easier to arrest you and charge you with DUI. Remember anything you say can and will be used against you in Court. Admitting to drinking and driving is almost a sure way of being convicted of the DUI charges. Lying is never a good idea, especially to the policy. If you don’t want to answer the officer’s questions, politely decline. Tell them that you want to talk to an attorney before answering any questions. It is better to be cautious and quiet than talkative behind bars.

Why Hire Us For Your DUI Charges?

Drunk driving is a criminal act with serious, long-term consequences. Our DUI Defense Attorneys have experience in handling hundreds of DUI cases. We are led by a former prosecutor who knows the ins-and-outs and tricks-and-traps of DUI law. If you are facing DUI charges call our DUI Defense Attorneys today at (702) 433-2889 or get more information by contacting us through our on-line form. We can help.

Comments (19)

Sandra Hexner

Sep 06, 2017 14:04 PM PST

My nephew is a ton of trouble because he's been convicted of driving under the influence. His mother doesn't know what to do or how to help him, so every bit of your advice is appreciated. Thanks for also mentioning that a DUI defense attorney is the key to get help from the beginning of the case, so he gets more than just help in court.

Sariah

Nov 07, 2017 04:16 AM PST

My sister was arrested and was charged with DUI, so we're thinking of securing a legal representation from a DUI attorney. You mentioned how important it is for my sister to document everything that happened the night of the arrest. I'll share this article with her so that it will help her attorney to prepare for any DUI charges as well as prepare for a proper defense. Thanks for this!

Raeger Wynchester

Nov 17, 2017 19:50 PM PST

My brother was arrested last night for drunk driving, and I was planning to get a lawyer to help him out with the case as early as possible. Like you said, finding a good DUI attorney as early as possible will mean he will have the access to sound legal counsel that will guide him throughout the courtroom process. Thank you for sharing this. I'll make sure to find a reliable attorney as soon as I can.

Bernadette Johnson

Nov 21, 2017 22:30 PM PST

I couldn't agree more with what you said about how you must contact a DUI defense attorney immediately to help you face the court and get a legal assistance. My friend was charged with a DUI offense, and he's looking to get a professional help for the chance of lowering the sanction or winning the case. I will make sure to talk to him so he can consider hiring a DUI attorney as soon as possible.

Bobby Saint

Nov 24, 2017 18:08 PM PST

I couldn't agree more when you mentioned hiring a DUI defense attorney if you're facing legal charges. Hiring a reputable DUI attorney would give you some peace of mind that he would be able to represent you well in court and defend your rights as a citizen. Also, he would be able to interpret all legal terms that you may not be able to fully understand. If I ever face the same kind of charges, I would make sure to take this into consideration. Thanks.

Taylor Bishop

Dec 20, 2017 09:12 AM PST

Thanks for explaining what to do when you get DUI charges. I appreciate that you mentioned to contact a DUI attorney as quickly as possible, because they can help guide you throughout the process. Not only that, but you can probably ask them about any questions you may have that arise that can help you understand your case more.

Sharon Wilson-Smith

Dec 20, 2017 22:19 PM PST

I totally agree that it is important to contact a DUI defense attorney immediately when facing a DUI charge to make sure that you can face the court with a legal support. My husband was charged with DUI case last night, and he is invited to a trial by next week. It's important for me to make sure that there will be a good DUI lawyer that can represent him well in the court to ensure a favorable result. It's also essential to have a peace of mind that his rights are going to be protected during the trial. I will make sure to contact a DUI lawyer as soon as possible to get help.

Steve Gonzalves

Dec 28, 2017 05:56 AM PST

I agree that, You can’t drive with a cell phone or any other wireless device in your hand. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can have serious consequences, including injuring or killing another person. So this is one of the best idea to decrease deaths due to DUI. Thanks for sharing..!!

Kiara Woodsland

Jan 18, 2018 20:46 PM PST

The best part of your article for me is when you talked about the importance of hiring a DUI defense attorney when facing a DUI arrest because it can often lead to criminal charges. My brother called me 5 minutes ago to ask for my help. He was arrested because of DUI charge, and it's important for me to make sure that he can get help in securing his rights. I will make sure to contact a DUI defense attorney as soon as possible.

Lillian Schaeffer

Feb 26, 2018 14:31 PM PST

Thanks for mentioning that the first step for dealing with a DUI is to contact an attorney. My brother just got a DUI. We don't want this to stick on his record, so we'll definitely consult a lawyer who specializes in DUI cases.

Becca Holton

Mar 05, 2018 15:55 PM PST

This had some good insight on what to do if you get a DUI. It's understandable why you said it's essential to secure quality legal representation quickly. I imagine that things can get complicated fast when it comes to criminal charges.

Ivy Baker

Apr 03, 2018 22:07 PM PST

I liked that you pointed out that you should call a DUI lawyer when you get pulled over for it. It does seem like they will help you from getting in serious trouble for it. That does seem like a good thing to be aware of when you drink wine or beer frequently.

Derek Dewitt

May 11, 2018 08:43 AM PST

My brother was recently involved in a DUI crash, but he isn't sure what to do next. I like your point about how an attorney can help guide you through the legal processes though. I'll be sure to recommend that he start looking for a lawyer in town so he can make it through court.

James Anderson

May 29, 2018 21:08 PM PST

It sure is nice that you've mentioned how one should document everything that happened the night you were arrested, as this will help your attorney prepare for any DUI charges the State may bring against you as well as prepare a proper defense regarding the search, the arrest, and the charges. One of my friends was recently arrested for DUI. I'll mention this to him so that he knows what he can do to choose a good lawyer and defend himself.

Penelope Smith

Jun 05, 2018 23:44 PM PST

I liked that you pointed out that it would be smart to contact a lawyer right away. It is good to know that if you get a lawyer easy on you will have representation in the courtroom earlier on. Personally, I would want a lawyer by my side as soon as possible.

Vanessa Blair

Jun 07, 2018 00:30 AM PST

My dad took some allergy medicine and drove to the mall to fetch my mom, unfortunately, he felt sleepy and was caught DUI. It was explained here that he should be careful about whatever he will say to the officer to not aggravate the situation. Moreover, it's recommended to hire a trusted DUI attorney for legal assistance.

jjgravesjr

Jun 07, 2018 04:04 AM PST

Thanks for sharing this information. The experienced defense lawyer who will work to achieve the best result for you.

Ellen H.

Jun 19, 2018 02:13 AM PST

You got my attention when you talked about the importance of contacting a DUI attorney as quickly as possible to make sure that you will be getting the guide that you need and to ensure that your rights are going to be protected. My son was charged with a DUI case. I want to make sure that he will get the right insight as to how he should handle his DUI case so he can get a favorable outcome. Thanks!

Brian Cook

Jul 04, 2018 08:37 AM PST

Thanks for sharing such helpful tips! Before hiring a DUI attorney one must check these: 1. Toughness and aggressiveness of lawyer towards results 2. Years of experience 3. Strong representation of the case I have dealt with many DUI/OVI defense firms but found Skip Potter Law Office (https://potterlawoffice.com) best. They have more than 30+ years of experience. Hope it helps. Cheers!!